Get This Free Cheat Sheet Guaranteed To Help Your Next Mix

Monday, June 21, 2010

Rush's "Tom Sawyer" - Isolated Guitar

Today we're back with more of Tom Sawyer from Rush. In this case, we'll be listening to Alex Lifeson's guitars.

1) The guitars are doubled using a short delay, then panning the original and delayed tracks left and right.

2) Boy, there's a lot of reverb on the guitars. They sound slightly chorused as well. I think Alex was using Gallien-Krueger amps back then, which had a built-in chorus on them.

3) The track is very solid. I heard one very, very slight timing issue on a picked part at about 1:58 but it's so small that it's nit picking.

4) The guitar solo uses the same sound as the rhythm, which is unusual.




----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter for daily news and updates on production and the music business.

Don't forget to check out my Music 3.0 blog for tips and tricks on navigating the music business.

2 comments:

CaptainVictory said...

Between 2:36 and 2:40, I think I hear overlapping takes (end of solo, beginning of rhythm). Is that right?

Bobby Owsinski said...

I didn't hear that, but I did hear a couple of punches during the solo.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...