* Overall Album Sales - 326.2 million units; down 12.7%
* Physical Album Sales - 240 million; down 19%
* Digital Album Sales - 86.3 million; up 13%
* Digital Track Sales: 1.172 billion; up 1%
* LP/Vinyl Sales: 2.8 million; up 14%
* Digital formats accounted for 46% of all music purchases; up 40%
* Digital album sales accounted for 26% of all album purchases; up 20%
If you look at the sales numbers, you very well can get the feeling that the industry is heading off a cliff, but there is a bright side. There were over 326 million albums sold (240 million of them CDs), and over a billion digital singles. That's still a huge amount of music that's being consumed. So while the numbers may never be what they were, it's still a huge business that's far from dead.
You should follow me on Twitter for daily news and updates on production and the music business.
Don't forget to check out my Music 3.0 blog for tips and tricks on navigating the music business.
Help support this blog. Any purchases made through our Amazon links help support this website with no cost to you.