Get This Free Cheat Sheet Guaranteed To Help Your Next Mix

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The History Of The Hammond Organ

I just love Hammond organs. I played a B3 for a long time during my gigging days, and it's sale paid for my move to Los Angeles (although it breaks my heart that I to this day that I sold it). As much as the technology to artificially recreate the sound of a Hammond and a Leslie has progressed, I must admit that the sound still isn't as good as an "oiler."

Here's a history of the Hammond and Leslie, which includes some great playing and rare footage (especially of Jimmy Smith).



----------------------------------

You should follow me on Twitter for daily news and updates on production and the music business.

Don't forget to check out my Music 3.0 blog for tips and tricks on navigating social media and the new music business.

2 comments:

Fred Decker said...

I thought this was a cool video. John Hammond sort of reminded me of Leo Fender--non-musician, inventor, etc.

I live in Chicago. The corner of Western and Diversy where the original factory was is now a pancake house.

KillerB3 said...

My name is Joe Bamford. I though you might be interested in our project called Killer B3, a Documentary Film about the Hammond Organ. After 7 years in production, we are set for a January 2013 release, provided we can raise the funds to cover all the legal business associated with releasing an independent film. . If you are interested, the trailer can be seen at
www.killerb3.com and of course we are on Facebook (search: Killer B3 the Movie). Take a look and let us know what you think.
Kindest Regards,
Joe Bamford - KillerB3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...