Here's Richard's answers to our 6 questions:
1) How did you break into the business?
Steady grind, friends who made it before I did, and finally a #1 record
which I wrote for Eric Clapton ("Promises").
2) What makes you unique?
Perspective as a fan, player, writer, producer and business man.
3) Who was your biggest influence?
- JJ Cale and Leon Russell – humility in music and persona
- Authors - Graham /Dodd – whose philosophy on value investing applies to music as well as – stock picking
- Bill Willet - the guy I saw playing guitar for a bunch of girls when I was 12 years old.
Not having to go through HR (Human Resources for you muso's who've never had a corporate job) reviews.
5) When and where were you the happiest?
On vacation - or when things click.
6) What's the best piece of advice you ever received?
Advice I heard from someone who was advised by producer Billy Sherrill that the most
important word in the music business is the word "NEXT".
Don't forget to check out my music business blog "Music 3.0". Follow me on Twitter.