Get This Free Cheat Sheet Guaranteed To Help Your Next Mix

Monday, August 2, 2010

"Come Together" Track Dissection

Here's a great track dissection from a BBC documentary on The Beatles that features Come Together from their Abbey Road album. It does a pretty good job of describing how the song was put together track-wise, although I wish we could've heard more of each track.

A few things I noticed:
1) Listen how out of tune George's guitar is.

2) I always thought that the electric piano was a Wurlitzer and played by Billy Preston (it's a Rhodes played by Paul). Just goes to show what I know.

3) The missing guitar lick is very cool but I can see why they didn't include it in the final mix. Sometimes the space is more powerful than anything that fills it. I think it might've stepped on the vocal as well.

4) Listen to the harmony vocal in the verse. After hearing a number of Beatle's vocal tracks and dissecting how they put their harmonies together, I'm always amazed that Paul usually takes the lowest part, considering his great vocal range. George is frequently the one on the top vocal (although not on this track).



----------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter for daily news and updates on production and the music business.

Don't forget to check out my Music 3.0 blog for tips and tricks on navigating the music business.

1 comment:

Bob Buontempo said...

ONCE AGAIN, Mr. Owsinski does it!!

Who was the Engineer being interviewed by the BBC? I think that Geoff Emerick engineered that track. Was it him?

Yes, George is INCREDIBLY out of tune!! It's amazing how I've never noticed it before, but, after hearing the track like this, I can never NOT hear it being out of tune again!!

Paul copped Billy Preston's style exactly, and the EQ (I believe) on the Rhodes DOES make it sound like a Wurlitzer. I'm with you on that one, Robert.

I LOVE that "flappy" sound on the kick that you really can't hear as much in the final mix; it's a foreshadowing of the "modern", "click-y", "attack-y" kick sound.

Finally, I LOVE the reference vocal, except for the low "Hold you in his arms" part. The clap on the final vocal, with the in time delay adjusted, BY EAR AND VARI-SPEED, PERFECTLY, was a really an ingenious move; again, not easily discernible when listening to the final mix.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...