From what I've been hearing, the excellent music conference that is South By Southwest (or SXSW), might've just done just that. Although there's always the people that treat the conference like a giant vacation and have a good time no matter what, the people that are trying to do some real business there are becoming increasingly disgruntled.
Here's what I've heard:
- It's too crowded and hurried to get any business accomplished.
- It's too crowded to get anywhere easily and on time.
- It's hard to arrange flights, lodging and transportation, because (you guessed it) it's too crowded.
- There's a lot of the crowd that's only there for the free events, and therefore don't contribute much.
- There are more fights and unsavory incidents occurring.
- It's so crowded that my band has no chance of being seen (this might be the worst one of the bunch).
- There's no chance of being signed because the industry has changed and there are no A&R people left.
And by the way, you can read more interesting Jump The Shark television info on that site, although it's not as good now that TV Guide has taken it over.
Help support this blog. Any purchases made through our Amazon links help support this website with no cost to you.
You should follow me on Twitter for daily news and updates on production and the music business.
Don't forget to check out my Music 3.0 blog for tips and tricks on navigating the music business.