Get This Free Cheat Sheet Guaranteed To Help Your Next Mix

Thursday, April 21, 2011

How To Stretch Your Guitar Strings

I've been playing guitar for a long time as a professional and know a lot of world-class players and techs, so I thought I knew how to stretch out new strings so they wouldn't slip while playing. This video falls under the category of "you never know everything" as it shows a new way (at least to me) to stretch your strings. Haven't tried it yet but it makes a lot of sense.

Let me know if you've tried this before and how well it works. By the way, next week will be full of some great song analysis.


 ----------------------------------
Help support this blog. Any purchases made through our Amazon links help support this website with no cost to you.

You should follow me on Twitter for daily news and updates on production and the music business.

Don't forget to check out my Music 3.0 blog for tips and tricks on navigating the music business.

3 comments:

Chris "Seth" Jackson said...

Oh, wow! I just forwarded this to my guitarist. I'm definitely going to try this on my next set of bass guitar strings.

Q said...

When I bought my Les Paul (about 15 years ago now) there was a photocopied sheet with instructions and a diagram showing how they recommended you string the guitar, so I've always called this the Gibson method.

It stretches the string whilst getting up to pitch when fitting it and after just a little playing with bends and retuning (maybe twice) it'll stay in tuner.

Turn the string end back around the post in the opposite direction to the way the post will turn. Put the string end under the string and bring it back over the top of the string so the end forms a loop around the main part of the string. The loop gets trapped between the string and the post as the string is tightened and this stretches the string nicely.

It's not easy to describe in words, a picture works so much better, but it's a really simple method, yet very effective.

Mojo said...

This is similar to how I was shown to do it by a guitar tech, except I was shown to do that motion for the length of the string & not just the middle. It definitely works!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...