Get This Free Cheat Sheet Guaranteed To Help Your Next Mix

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Brian May On Vox AC-30 Amplifiers

Like most guitar players, I'm pretty much a tone freak. It was a long and sometimes painful journey to figure out how to get the sounds that I heard on so many of the records that I loved, one that I've outlined in The Ultimate Guitar Tone Handbook.

One of the things that I discovered is that you can sometimes get the best tone just by going back to basics with a good sounding guitar plugged directly into a good sounding amp with no pedals in between. With the amp cranked to a level where it breaks into a nice creamy distortion, if you turn the volume on the guitar down, you get a great clean sound. Want more distortion or any amount in between, turn up the guitar volume. No pedals required.

In this short video, Queen's Brian May shows you that's the way he does it as well, using his trusty Vox AC-30 amps. You can't argue with the great sound.



----------------------------------

You should follow me on Twitter for daily news and updates on production and the music business.

Don't forget to check out my Music 3.0 blog for tips and tricks on navigating social media and the new music business.

2 comments:

Rand Bliss said...

Many many thanks for this (Red) special treat Bobby;-)

Brian is one of my top three favorite guitarists ever, and I have more respect and admiration for him and his wonderful contribution to music than time and space permit to explain here.

But that's not really necessary anyway, as any honest musician already knows. And that influence is the mark of true genius, technique, artistry and class that Brian always has.

What a brilliant and innovative musician we're so lucky to have with us...

BuckyCore said...

Wow. I'm Sold on that amp. I'm more of a high gain/metal amp kind of guy, but I love diversity and subtle qualities that make each of the amps unique. And no...forget amp modeling. Done. Done. And done.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...