Help Support This Blog
Any purchases made through our Amazon links help support this blog at no cost to you (you can click here).
Friday, May 15, 2015
Lenny Kravitz "Fly Away" Isolated Vocals
Today we're going to look inside the song with an isolated vocal track that's pretty cool. Here's what to listen for.
1. The vocal is very compressed. You can especially hear it grab on the attacks of any loud phrases like the beginning of the chorus at "I want to get away." There's also a lot of sibilance that comes from the heavy compression that you don't necessarily hear in the full mix.
2. There's a medium-long reverb on the vocal that moves from right to left, with the left side being slightly longer. A very nice mixing touch.
3. Listen to the chorus effect that acts as a double during the chorus on "I want to fly away."
4. Also take note of the half-note delay on the background vocals, which is also added to the second verse of the lead vocal.
5. On the third chorus at 2:10 another background part enters ("With You") that's fairly dry so it pushes to the front of the mix.